We use cookies and other web tracking technologies to improve our services, identify areas for repair, better understand what our customers use and don't use, and for marketing services. To learn more, visit our Privacy Commitment.
Skip to main content

Transformer Installation

ENMAX Power Corporation (EPC) Area Requirements for Installation of EPC Equipment on Customer Sites

The provisioning of electrical service for the development of new customer facilities or the modification to existing customer facilities outside of the downtown area, generally requires the installation of EPC equipment. EPC equipment generally consists of a transformer, however other equipment like pull boxes or switchgear may be required to provide electrical service.

The customer must provide an area to install EPC equipment. The typical size of the area required for a transformer ranges from approximately 3m x 5m to 4m x 6m.  Note that the area required by EPC is dependent on the equipment requirement for electrical service.

The area provided by the customer must:

  • Be level
  • Be located in well drained native soil or engineered fill
  • Be free from obstructions
  • Be readily accessible by vehicles at all times for EPC crews to install, operate, and maintain equipment
  • Not be located above an underground structure (e.g. parkade)
  • Not be located under an overhead structure (e.g. building overhang)

Specific requirements for the location of EPC equipment will be determined at the detailed design stage when the customer requests electrical service. 

Note: Additional clearances for EPC equipment may be required depending on proximity to vehicle traffic (e.g. roadways, lanes and parking lots) as well as proximity to nearby metallic surfaces (e.g. 3.0 m clearance is required to chain link fences, metal building siding, metal doors, etc.).

Further information about EPC equipment requirements can be obtained by calling 403-514-3716 or by emailing getconnected@enmax.com.

Customers are free to purchase natural gas services or electricity services from a retailer of their choice. For a list of retailers, visit ucahelps.alberta.ca or call 310-4822 (toll free in Alberta).