May 10, 2018
RE: Electrical Utility Meter Handling and Secondary Service Supply Restrictions
Notice To: Electrical Contractors working within the ENMAX Power Corporation (EPC) Service Territory (City of Calgary and surrounding area). EPC, with the cooperation of the City of Calgary Electrical Inspections, is enforcing its procedures and protocols regarding the care and handling of EPC owned electrical utility meters and secondary service supply connections.
EPC, as the Owner is the only party permitted to remove, install and handle electrical utility metering equipment. This is consistent with the electric utility industry's standard and practice Canada wide. This also includes the de-energization or re-energization of utility service supply connection point.
No Electrical Contractor or other third Party shall:
1. Cut or remove an EPC electrical meter seal or meter ring.
2. Remove an EPC electrical meter from an energized or de-energized meter base.
3. Disconnect or reconnect energized utility service conductors at the service entrance (mast / weather head).
IMPORTANT: EPC will be closely monitoring these restrictions and will be collaborating with the City of Calgary Electrical Inspections to ensure that all infractions are identified and reported as required.
- Request MSO via web portal (minimum 3 business days required for scheduling purposes).
- Provide payment method (credit card or pre-approved account P.O. #) in full prior to EPC scheduling work.
- EPC and electrician to meet at site for Disconnect and then again for Reconnect as scheduled.
1. To make your MSO request:
a. Go to:
b. Under "ELECTRICITY SERVICES", select – "Electrician Requested Services".
c. Then select – "Construction Disconnect-Reconnect" and click "GET STARTED".
2. Enter all of the required information into the Request Form and Submit (Electrical Permits must be in place).
3. You will receive email confirmation that your request has been submitted and that an EPC representative will contact you, as required.
4. A quote will be created based on the information provided, which includes travel time, estimated labour time, and materials, as applicable.
5. Once the quote has been completed, you will receive an email along with a secure web link to make the required credit card payment to complete the scheduling of your MSO. No MSO will be scheduled until full payment has been received.
An EPC crew will meet the requesting electrician on site to discuss the work and then disconnect the electrical service supply, only if the following conditions are met:
- The electrician
MUST be present, on site.
- The main service disconnect
MUST be in the open position (no load).
An EPC crew will meet the requesting electrician (re- arranged time by electrician) on site to discuss the work and then reconnect the electrical service supply, only if the following conditions are met:
- Electric service connection and meter are both accessible to safely reconnect (OHS, EPC Safety and CEC compliant).
- Electrical Permits are required and authorization to re-energize from the authority having jurisdiction must be affixed to the equipment (ie: green sticker) on site or an email sent from electrical inspections to trouble dispatch/control authorizing the reconnection.
- Failure to meet all these conditions will result in a denial of re-energization. Once all the conditions have been met then another reconnect must be rescheduled with a 1 hr MSO charge.
NOTE: A failure of the electrician to be present, on site will be subject to a 1 hr MSO charge.
All customers are free to purchase natural gas services from the default supply provider or from a retailer of their choice and to purchase electricity services from the regulated rate provider or from a retailer of their choice. The delivery of natural gas and electricity to you is not affected by your choice. If you change who you purchase natural gas services or electricity services from, you will continue receiving natural gas and electricity from the distribution company in your service area. For a current list of retailers you may choose from, visit www.ucahelps.gov.ab.ca or call 310-4822 (toll free in Alberta).
We are unable to provide chat services for payment arrangement setup/modifications. For these services, please call 310-3010.
To start chat, please enter your details.
You can also get in touch with us at 310-2010.
We're working on our Live Chat and phone systems, and hope to have them restored soon.
We're working on Live Chat, and hope to have it restored soon.