We use cookies and other web tracking technologies to improve our services, identify areas for repair, better understand what our customers use and don't use, and for marketing services. To learn more, visit our Privacy Commitment.
Skip to main content
Home electrical safety checklist
  • Are there flammable materials near appliances that get hot?

    Be careful not to place heaters, light bulbs or irons near materials like drapes or furniture that could ignite and cause a fire.

  • Do you unplug unused appliances?

    Even when turned off, a small amount of electricity can run through an appliance when it is plugged in. The danger still exists and can be harmful if the appliance were to fall into a sink, toilet, bathtub, swimming pool or hot tub.

  • Is there any exposed wire in your house?

    Repair any broken outlet plates or frayed cords that reveal exposed wiring.

  • Do you handle plugs properly?

    When unplugging an electrical appliance, always pull the base of the plug, not the cord.

  • Do you have GFCI in your kitchen and bathrooms?

    Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs) are special electrical outlets or breakers designed to shut off power in time to prevent serious shock. They are available at any home hardware store and should be installed and used near sinks and outdoor plugs.

  • Is there a multi-purpose fire extinguisher in your home?

    Keep a fire extinguisher in a convenient location and know how to use it. Fire extinguishers are useful to put out small fires or to clear an escape path.

  • Is your smoke detector working?

    Make sure you have a smoke detector in every level of your house. You should change the batteries every six months.

  • Do you have any overloaded outlets?

    When too many plugs are put into one electrical outlet, it can result in heat building up in the wires, which can cause fires.

  • Are your electric cords in good condition?

    Watch for frayed cords or loose fitting plugs. You can receive an electrical shock from exposed wires.

  • Are your electrical cords free of obstructions?

    Cords that run under rugs, are badly kinked, or are too close to appliances that get hot, can cause fires.

  • Do you have any appliances near water?

    Electricity and water do not mix. Avoid operating appliances like kettles or hair dryers near water. Always dry your hands and make sure there are no puddles on the floor before using an electrical appliance.

  • Are your electrical outlets and appliances childproof?

    Children are naturally curious so be aware of dangling cords or exposed plugs. Protect young children by using plastic safety covers on all your electrical outlets and keep appliances away from counter edges.

Customers are free to purchase natural gas services or electricity services from a retailer of their choice. For a list of retailers, visit ucahelps.alberta.ca or call 310-4822 (toll free in Alberta).