Be careful not to place heaters, light bulbs or irons near materials like drapes or furniture that could ignite and cause a fire.
Even when turned off, a small amount of electricity can run through an appliance when it is plugged in. The danger still exists and can be harmful if the appliance were to fall into a sink, toilet, bathtub, swimming pool or hot tub.
Repair any broken outlet plates or frayed cords that reveal exposed wiring.
When unplugging an electrical appliance, always pull the base of the plug, not the cord.
Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs) are special electrical outlets or breakers designed to shut off power in time to prevent serious shock. They are available at any home hardware store and should be installed and used near sinks and outdoor plugs.
Keep a fire extinguisher in a convenient location and know how to use it. Fire extinguishers are useful to put out small fires or to clear an escape path.
Make sure you have a smoke detector in every level of your house. You should change the batteries every six months.
When too many plugs are put into one electrical outlet, it can result in heat building up in the wires, which can cause fires.
Watch for frayed cords or loose fitting plugs. You can receive an electrical shock from exposed wires.
Cords that run under rugs, are badly kinked, or are too close to appliances that get hot, can cause fires.
Electricity and water do not mix. Avoid operating appliances like kettles or hair dryers near water. Always dry your hands and make sure there are no puddles on the floor before using an electrical appliance.
Children are naturally curious so be aware of dangling cords or exposed plugs. Protect young children by using plastic safety covers on all your electrical outlets and keep appliances away from counter edges.
Customers are free to purchase natural gas services or electricity services from a retailer of their choice. For a list of retailers, visit ucahelps.alberta.ca or call 310-4822 (toll free in Alberta).