We use cookies and other web tracking technologies to improve our services, identify areas for repair, better understand what our customers use and don't use, and for marketing services. To learn more, visit our Privacy Commitment.
Skip to main content

How to Apply

Getting Started

Please contact TRAC at any time during this listing process should you have any questions.

Here are the steps you'll need to take to get started as a Retailer:

  • Register
  • Apply to Become a Retailer with ENMAX Power
  • Communicate with ENMAX Power
becoming a retailer

Before applying to receive Retail Access Services from ENMAX Power (EPC), please take the following steps:

  1. Register with the Department of Energy (DOE) and fill out an application
    (search keywords "electricity retailer information form")
  2. Make required arrangements with the Alberta Electric System Operator (AESO) to become a Pool Participant
    (search keywords "Pool participant application form")
  3. Obtain a license from Alberta Government Services (unless you sell only to commercial/industrial customers with annual consumption > 250,000 kWh)
    (search keywords "direct seller license")
  4. Obtain appropriate local and municipal business licenses
Apply to Become a Retailer with ENMAX Power

To ensure that Retailers operating in its Calgary settlement zone are qualified, viable business enterprises, ENMAX Power has instituted a "listing" process. For more information, contact TRAC or fill out the Retailer Application below.

Retailer Application

Relevant Information

There are several documents you may want to read, as they form the basis for much of the information on this website.

ENMAX Power's Rates and Services
Settlement System Code
Roles and Responsibilities Regulation (A/R 169/2003)

Additional information is also available from the Alberta Electric System Operator, Utilities Consumer Advocate and Alberta Government Services.

The listing process consists of three major components:


    EPC's determination of the Retailer's prudential requirements is as specified in section 8 of the Distri​buti​on Tariff Regulation (A/R 162/2003) as amended from time to time.

    Retailers must prove that they are capable of meeting obligations under the Distribution Access Tariff. Audited financial statements, credit bureau reports and other financial information necessary to confirm the financial standing of your company is required. Please allow a minimum of 20 business days before commencement of site enrollment. This allows us adequate time to complete a thorough financial review.


    Retailers must be able to exchange mandated files with ENMAX Power via VLTrader. We'll provide test scripts to prospective Retailers as a means of confirming that the standard data exchanges are possible. Note that this computer system testing will be entered into only with Retailers that have formally initiated the listing process (described above).


    The final step to becoming an ENMAX Power listed Retailer is executing the Retail Access Service Agreement below to acknowledge compliance and agreement to ENMAX Power's Terms & Conditions. There is a schedule attached to the Retail Access Services Agreement. Access to ENMAX Power's information systems is conditional upon the execution of this Agreement.

    Retail Access Service Agreement​​​

Communicate with ENMAX Power

Technical Retail Access Centre (TRAC)

ENMAX Power maintains a support service called TRAC. This service provides a single point of contact for ALL Retailer questions with an estimated response time of 2 business days and is accessed exclusively by e-mail.

Customers are free to purchase natural gas services or electricity services from a retailer of their choice. For a list of retailers, visit ucahelps.alberta.ca or call 310-4822 (toll free in Alberta).