We use cookies and other web tracking technologies to improve our services, identify areas for repair, better understand what our customers use and don't use, and for marketing services. To learn more, visit our Privacy Commitment.
Skip to main content
Reminder: Ground Disturbance Guidelines must be followed

​​ ​

The best way to avoid an incident is to prevent it by always working at a safe distance. ENMAX Power asks developers and contractors (and their sub-contractors) to adhere to Alberta Occupational Health & Safety Code Part 32 and obtain locates from Utility Safety Partners. Failure to follow these Alberta OH&S Codes and ENMAX Ground Disturbance Guidelines will result in an immediate shut down of the site – safety is our top priority at ENMAX Power.

“We continue to see instances where safety procedures are not being followed near ENMAX Power infrastructure on construction sites,” said Jesse Retzlaff, manager, URD & customer choice. “In order to prevent injuries and keep everyone safe, builders must practice continuous awareness around electrical equipment.”

Ground disturbers in Calgary must also obtain a Conditional Permission Letter from hotdigs@enmax.com before any excavation within two metres of any above grade ENMAX fa-cility and within one metre of any underground electrical cable. Excavators must adhere to all appli-cable legislation including ENMAX Power’s Ground Disturbance Guidelines and all conditions set out in the ENMAX Permission Letter.

ENMAX Power has resources available to help raise awareness. Our free Hazardous Electrical Aware-ness Tutorial (H.E.A.T.) is perfect for companies with employees or equipment working near electrical infrastructure in Calgary. The tutorial highlights electrical safety basics when working around under-ground power equipment. Please reach out to hotdigs@enmax.com to arrange for a H.E.A.T.

Should you have any questions regarding these requirements, please contact safety@enmax.com.

Questions? Ideas on what information you would like to see? Please contact partnerconnect@enmax.com​ ​

Customers are free to purchase natural gas services or electricity services from a retailer of their choice. For a list of retailers, visit ucahelps.alberta.ca or call 310-4822 (toll free in Alberta).