We use cookies and other web tracking technologies to improve our services, identify areas for repair, better understand what our customers use and don't use, and for marketing services. To learn more, visit our Privacy Commitment.
Skip to main content

What kind of wires are on your property?

​In most cases, electricity connects from the main power line to your home in two ways.

Above ground
(Overhead system)

In older communities (pre 1970s) the electrical power is delivered via overhead wires to your residence.

Watch the video

(Underground system)

In newer communities (post 1970s) the electrical power is delivered via underground wires to your residence.

Watch the video

​Learn more about wires and electrical equipment on your property

Repairs to wires on your property

​Our monitoring system cannot detect issues with the lines on your property, so you'll have to report it by calling the ENMAX Power Trouble Line at 403-514-6100.

Our ENMAX Power crews can assist in locating faulted underground wires or identifying issues with your service mast, but they're not authorized to repair customer-owned electrical equipment on private property. Repairs to service masts or underground service lines on private property need to be made by a licensed electrician and inspected by The City of Calgary before power can be restored.

  • For information on locating buried electrical wires or equipment you can contact Alberta One-Call.
  • To prevent damage to your service wires please visit our tree trimming page.
  • If a tree contacts your service line, which runs from the pole to your house, call a trained arborist to have it removed. 
  • Check out these tips on how you can work safely around electricity around your yard or your home.

Customers are free to purchase natural gas services or electricity services from a retailer of their choice. For a list of retailers, visit ucahelps.alberta.ca or call 310-4822 (toll free in Alberta).

Enmax Live Chat*