Today during scheduled maintenance work at our Calgary Energy Centre, at approximately 11 a.m. there was a spill of approximately 500 litres of hydrochloric acid (equivalent of 2 1/2 oil drums).
As a result, one contractor who was wearing personal protective equipment came into contact with the chemical. Calgary's EMS services were immediately called to the incident, and the individual was treated on site and taken to a local hospital. Three other contractors were also taken to hospital for precautionary measures.
Containment of the spill is being handled by a specially trained hazardous materials team, and there is no known impact or concern beyond the Calgary Energy Centre site.
Update: Around 4:30 p.m. on November 21, the contractor injured at the Calgary Energy Centre was released from hospital with no serious injuries. The three other contractors who were brought to the hospital for precautionary measures were released earlier today. Hazmat completed its work and left the site around 3 p.m.
All customers are free to purchase natural gas services from the default supply provider or from a retailer of their choice and to purchase electricity services from the regulated rate provider or from a retailer of their choice. The delivery of natural gas and electricity to you is not affected by your choice. If you change who you purchase natural gas services or electricity services from, you will continue receiving natural gas and electricity from the distribution company in your service area. For a current list of retailers you may choose from, visit www.ucahelps.alberta.ca or call 310-4822 (toll free in Alberta).
Please enter a few details in the spaces below so we can help you find an answer faster.
You can also get in touch with us at 310-2010.
We're working on our Live Chat and phone systems, and hope to have them restored soon.
We're working on Live Chat, and hope to have it restored soon.