We use cookies and other web tracking technologies to improve our services, identify areas for repair, better understand what our customers use and don't use, and for marketing services. To learn more, visit our Privacy Commitment.
Skip to main content

Southwest Calgary Ring Road (SWCRR) – 138 kV Transmission Relocation

​Project overview

Alberta Transportation has started planning for the construction of the SW portion of the road that will complete the Calgary Ring Road. The completion of the SWCRR requires the relocation of several utilities that are directly impacted by the road construction. The Province is working collaboratively with the impacted utility companies to help facilitate their planning and design.

The road design for the SWCRR conflicts with existing transmission infrastructure. Alberta Transportation has requested ENMAX Power (ENMAX) to relocate its transmission lines away from the road alignment and into the new Power Line Component of the newly established Transportation Utility Corridor (TUC) along the SWCRR. This land was transferred from the Tsuu T'ina Nation to the Government of Alberta to accommodate a portion of the SWCRR and TUC.


Project Details

Construction to relocate the 138 kV transmission line will begin south of the Glenmore Trail and Sarcee Trail intersection and continue south via ENMAX No. 35 Substation which is located north of 90 Avenue SW in the southwest corner of North Glenmore Park and continue to ENMAX No. 6 Substation located at 16300 – 37 Street SW.

The transmission line is approximately 14 kilometres in length and will have steel monopole structures.

Starting in November 2016, temporary construction access roads will be built and materials will be delivered to site. Crews will begin assembling and installing transmission structures in January 2017. All construction will take place between the hours of 7 a.m. and 5 p.m.

Important documents


Email: Power Customer Relations
Phone: 403-514-3990

All customers are free to purchase natural gas services from the default supply provider or from a retailer of their choice and to purchase electricity services from the regulated rate provider or from a retailer of their choice. The delivery of natural gas and electricity to you is not affected by your choice. If you change who you purchase natural gas services or electricity services from, you will continue receiving natural gas and electricity from the distribution company in your service area. For a current list of retailers you may choose from, visit www.ucahelps.alberta.ca or call 310-4822 (toll free in Alberta).

Live Chat