We use cookies and other web tracking technologies to improve our services, identify areas for repair, better understand what our customers use and don't use, and for marketing services. To learn more, visit our Privacy Commitment.
Skip to main content
Compliance to the provincial Carbon Competitiveness Incentive Regulation

ENMAX Corporation and its subsidiaries (collectively, "ENMAX") holds interests in generation facilities that emit greenhouse gases ("GHGs").   Facilities which emit GHGs may be subject to the Provincial Specified Gas Emitter Regulation ("SGER"), which currently requires emitters with annual GHG emissions of 100,000 tonnes or more to meet net emission intensity limits of 80 per cent of their baseline emissions intensities in 2017. ENMAX's SGER compliance obligations only relate to natural gas-fueled facilities.  Compliance may be achieved by:

  • Physically reducing emissions below the required reduction under baseline
  • Obtaining Alberta-based GHG offsets generated from the non-regulated sector (GHG offsets are reduction credits purchased by companies to compensate for or offset the emissions they generate) or Emission Performance Credits generated at regulated facilities reducing emissions below required reductions under baseline;  
  • Making payments into the Alberta Climate Change and Emissions Management Corporation Fund, at a rate of $30 per tonne.

In 2017, ENMAX Energy's compliance obligation for our natural gas-fueled generation portfolio under was approximately 114,000 tonnes of GHG. For the compliance obligations arising from our generation portfolio, ENMAX is intending to use a combination offset credits and contributions to the Climate Change Emissions Management Fund.

Our changing generation portfolio:

Generation Pie Graphs

All customers are free to purchase natural gas services from the default supply provider or from a retailer of their choice and to purchase electricity services from the regulated rate provider or from a retailer of their choice. The delivery of natural gas and electricity to you is not affected by your choice. If you change who you purchase natural gas services or electricity services from, you will continue receiving natural gas and electricity from the distribution company in your service area. For a current list of retailers you may choose from, visit www.ucahelps.gov.ab.ca or call 310-4822 (toll free in Alberta).

Enmax Live Chat*